Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Texas State bleeds orange too?



Embarking on your college career is considered a rite of passage for many people. This journey allows students to broaden their educational knowledge and their individualism. One way to express your individualism is in what you wear.

Many Texas State students don the maroon and gold school colors on a daily basis. However, many Texas State students tend to represent the university that resides a little ways up the interstate. Some Texas State students bleed burnt orange rather than maroon and gold.

Some students would question their school spirit and some just don’t care. Computer science major and Texas State student Devan Rodriguez feels school spirit runs deeper than what you wear.

“I feel school spirit is having pride in your school, attending sporting events, doing things for fraternities and just being involved in all sorts of activities," Rodriguez said. “It doesn’t really bother me when students wear shirts from other schools just as long as they aren’t trying to say Texas State sucks.”

Unlike Rodriguez, students who wear apparel from other universities bother Texas State student Ryan McLeod.

“I mean it kind of rubs me the wrong way that we have so many UT fans here but thinking about school spirit look at what the hook em’ horns sign has done for them,” said McLeod. “It is a nationally recognized symbol.”

Graduate student Riley Gosine has recently changed his opinions on the subject.

It started to bother me after my freshman year. By then, I had established a connection with my school and felt thoroughly satisfied with my choice and progression," said Gosine. “As a graduate student, it does not bother me as much anymore. This is due to the fact that many of my classmates came from different institutions.”

Health administration major, Holly Hubbard, doesn’t seem to pay much attention to the students who do wear apparel from other universities.

“I notice it, but that’s all. I guess it could be a shirt or something from another school. Obviously, it doesn’t bother me too much, but I do notice it,” said Hubbard. “Maybe they have another connection to that school.”

Gosine shares the same view as Hubbard for reasons a student might wear something from another university.

“The student may have an affiliation with that school such as their parents but unless that student does have an affiliation I do not think that they should be wearing other schools apparel,” said Gosine.

Texas State gives students here an opportunity to relinquish their other university apparel for some Texas State apparel. The Texas State Alumni Association Student Chapter holds Trade Up Days in the spring semester according to Texas State’s website. All students have to do is bring an old shirt from another college or university and they receive a Texas State t-shirt.


No comments:

Post a Comment